Virginia Satir, who pioneered the most effective work in family therapy states the following:
- ¨”Say what you mean and mean what you say. Ask for what you want but know you will not always get it.”
- ¨”Be responsible for what you think, say and do rather than projecting it on others or denying it.”
- ¨”Identify your “shoulds” as well as beliefs you have grown up with that keep you caught in craziness and are not necessarily true.”
- ¨”Treat people as you would wish them to be rather than blaming them.”
- ¨”Be open to receiving feedback from others and listen to it carefully because you might learn something about yourself from it.”
- ¨”Be gentle and loving with yourself and others.”
- ¨”Celebrate ‘differentness’ in people.
… CONTINUE READING
Relationships are not always easy, and sometimes they take a lot of hard work, but it’s worth the effort. Why? Because a long-term committed relationship is fulfilling, satisfying, good for your health and just makes you feel happy.
When you finally meet someone you think may be The One, you want to make sure the relationship lasts. Here are a few ways to get the momentum going:
- As a couple, it can’t always be about your agenda. So be aware of how flexible you are, how understanding you are and how willing you are to see your partner’s perspective on things.
… CONTINUE READING
Anybody getting back in the dating world will find they encounter many challenges. But for women over 40, the challenges are different. After all, things have changed since they were in their 20’s, when life was more carefree and simple. Here are a few of the most common concerns when entering the dating world.
- I’m not a size 4. Will anyone be attracted to me?
If you think like this you need to do the inner work to get to a place of confidence and comfort with who you are. There are many women who are not strikingly beautiful, long or lean and yet they are married to wonderful men who love who they are and how they look.… CONTINUE READING
If you’re single because of divorce, death or you just never married, are you ready to start dating again? If you are, there are several important things you need to be aware of. Naturally, you want to avoid dating disasters. I mean those dates that waste your time, are annoying or just plain uncomfortable to be on. You want to avoid meeting the wrong person, who intimidates, controls or manipulates your life.
So how do you know what to look for?
1. The first thing to do is make a list of the qualities you would like in your date/partner. Be sure to include the absolute must-haves (honesty, sincerity, commitment, good communicator, same religion), but be flexible with those areas that you can take or leave (height, weight, income, education).… CONTINUE READING